You must be logged in to access this page.
Communications & Marketing Specialist
You must be logged in to access this page.
Communications & Marketing Specialist
As of: June 2020
Hired by: Vice President of Development & Stewardship
Reports to: Communications Officer
Status: Exempt, Full-time employee
Thank you for your interest in joining the Coastal Community Foundation team. Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is an Equal Opportunity Employer with offices in North Charleston and Beaufort, as well as four affiliate foundations. We serve all nine counties on South Carolina’s coast: Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry and Jasper counties.
Established in 1974, Coastal Community Foundation works to create vibrant communities by identifying the challenges facing the region and bringing together resources to address them. Coastal Community Foundation is the largest community foundation in South Carolina, managing more than 700 charitable funds established by individuals, families and organizations and awarding tens of millions of dollars in grants and scholarships each year.
Financial resources are among the many tools we employ in our purpose to create vibrant communities. Throughout our history, we have served as a community convener to bring residents and leaders together to tackle major structural challenges, such as housing shortages or inequitable school systems. We also have a long history of helping nonprofits build their capacity, and incubating grassroots causes to provide them with structural support so they grow into fully operational organizations.
Why work for us?
When you join Coastal Community Foundation, you join a dedicated staff and Board of Directors working to be the reason why education, housing and access to opportunities are more equitable; working to be the reason why donors advance positive outcomes in their communities; and working to be the reason why our region thrives, together.
This dedication from our team is one of the main reasons we’ve been successful in earning the trust of communities we serve, and ensuring we adapt to their evolving needs. That is why we are deeply committed to supporting our staff members to ensure their success at work and outside of work. We offer a competitive salary and a full benefits package, including Paid Time Off, Holidays, Insurance (health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability), 401(k), and training and development opportunities.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
Inclusion with equity is one of our four core values at Coastal Community Foundation, so we not only work to recruit diverse candidates, we work to ensure our team members have all the tools they need to be successful. Our purpose is most effectively fulfilled through proactively supporting the values of equity, inclusion, and diversity. Diversity may be measured by, but is not limited to, differences in age, ethnicity, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic circumstance, class, religion, disability, geography, and profession. We acknowledge and respect the many differences that comprise thriving communities and seek diversity in our staff to ensure that a range of perspectives, opinions and experiences are recognized and acted upon in achieving our purpose.
It is our intention to promote a fully equitable philanthropic sector that justly represents and serves all our constituencies. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from candidates of color, of LGBTQ+ identity and of other historically marginalized communities.
About this position
The Communications & Marketing Specialist will work alongside the Communications Officer in executing strategic initiatives that elevate Coastal Community Foundation’s work and impact in communities we serve. The Communications & Marketing Specialist will also be responsible for initiatives specifically related to increasing CCF’s presence in the Southern Lowcountry region of Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper counties. The Specialist will assist the Communications Officer in establishing the CCF brand as a philanthropic leader in this key market, with localized content and relationship cultivation with key stakeholders, donors, grantees and members of the regional media. The Specialist will support the goals and activities of the Communications and Marketing team by producing quality content and design work for CCF publications, marketing materials, and other communications while regularly collaborating with the Grantmaking & Community Leadership and Development & Stewardship departments.
The Specialist will agree with and demonstrate respect for the Foundation’s belief that “diversity” means the active inclusion of the entire community as welcomed participants in all Foundation activities; support the Foundation’s practice of encouraging diversity, equity and inclusiveness as the cornerstones of all that the Foundation does.
- Write copy and create content to illustrate CCF’s impact for all publications, including blogs, print and digital newsletters, annual reports and social media.
- Consistent monitoring of news, events, community issues and discussions in the Southern Lowcountry through news and social media to determine potential news opportunities in the region.
- Manage CCF’s presence on all social media platforms, including developing, posting and scheduling content as well as monitoring performance and reporting key trends to Communications Officer on a weekly basis.
- Cultivate, pitch and prepare stories for articles, social content and press releases for the Southern Lowcountry market through interviews with grantees and donors, as well as data analysis on key initiatives and grantmaking.
- Adhere strictly to the CCF brand guide and help ensure consistent brand identity is employed throughout CCF materials and content, including those that originate in other departments.
- Partner with cross-functional teams and programs to provide supportive materials for Foundation initiatives.
- Meet regularly with team members working directly in the Southern Lowcountry region to gather intelligence on foundation initiatives as they arise.
- Work directly with media contacts in the Southern Lowcountry to pitch localized stories
- Help maintain the integrity of all mailing lists
- Maintain the inventory of all CCF marketing materials and stationery, working with vendors as needed to replenish supplies
- Provide general website support with updates and content development.
- Assist with filing invoices related to Communications & Marketing projects.
- Excellent written communication skills, with proven knack for inspirational storytelling.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with proven success handling overlapping deadlines.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Lightroom), WordPress or similar web platform, Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint and Word) required.
- Team player with ability to work collaboratively with diverse staff at all levels.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, branding, marketing, publishing, design or a related field
- At least one year of professional experience creating content preferred.
- Reliable transportation is required for frequent travel throughout our nine-county region.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
How to apply
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter and essay response to the question listed below:
- Why do you want to work for Coastal Community Foundation?
Please submit materials to email@example.com combined in one (1) PDF document by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, July 17, 2020 for consideration.
1691 Turnbull Avenue
North Charleston, SC 29405
- Job ID
- Job Title
- Communications & Marketing Specialist
- Application Deadline
- Salary Range
- $40000.00 - $45000.00
- Job Location
- North Charleston, SC
- Prenita Mack
- Phone Number
- (843) 723-3635
- Best Method of Contact